Benefits Of NZISM Membership
These benefits apply to Affiliate, Student & Graded Members. For the benefits that apply to Corporate Supporters please see the separate section
- Accreditation framework guiding a member from the start of their career to retirement
- Continuous Professional Development tool for the management of career progression
- Upon qualification of Graduate membership the opportunity to apply for HASANZ registration
- Opportunities for professional development though branch activities and seminars
- Workshops/health and safety training seminars.
- Networking and contacts with other health and safety practitioners via our national branch network
- Internationally aligned Professional Membership pathway
- UK recognition of NZISM accreditation
- Online resources and tools
- Professional representation for practitioners amongst industry, Government and in the media
- Recognition from peers and employers
- Discounted training courses and conferences for general members
- A voice on HASANZ and INSHPO
- Insurance for self employed & consultants: NZISM has an arrangement to simplify access to a suite of relevant insurance products
New members sign up as either an Affiliate or Student member – click the ‘Apply Online’ button and, once you have completed the initial membership information, you will be taken to a second screen to choose either Affiliate or Student membership. You will be given the choice of paying by PayPal (credit card), bank transfer (internet banking) or cheque. Before signing up please read the membership information below.
Affiliate Membership: This is our main initial membership category. Any person who is interested or involved in occupational safety and health management and development may become an Affiliate member of NZISM by completing the application form and paying the membership fee ($250 gst inc for 12 months membership).
Student Membership: To apply for student membership you must be enrolled with a tertiary education provider & participating in full-time (60 credits) health and safety study on a course from the list of ‘Qualifications Recognised for Grading’ (see Graded Membership section below). Students pay a discounted membership fee of $125 gst inc for 12 months membership. Evidence of enrolment on the course is requested on application with an upload facility being provided. Student members must, when no longer eligible to qualify for the discounted membership, change to Affiliate level. A Student Member has no voting or office bearing rights.
To apply for grading you must be an Affiliate (or higher) member of NZISM and a resident in NZ (unless applying to have your IOSH level recognised). See further details below:
Technician/Graduate Grading: Affiliate members are able to apply for grading at either Technician or Graduate level. To apply you must have the required qualification and relevant hours of OHS practice for the level applied for – see the list of ‘Qualifications & Experience Recognised for Grading’ below. Along with providing a qualification certificate you will also need to complete an ‘Application for Technician or Graduate Grading’ form and, where applicable, attach a copy of your CV and job description. The fee for applying for grading is $115 gst inc. All Technician & Graduate members must keep a record of their Continuous Professional Development through the NZISM online and audited MyCPD portal (annual admin fee $60 gst inc).
Members graded at Technician or Graduate level will be able to use the relevant post nominals and display a certificate confirming the grade awarded
Certified Grading: Members graded at Graduate level may progress onto Certified grading. Knowledge, skills and experience will be assessed against our grading criteria via a skills development portfolio, (SDP) an electronic online assessment (EOA) and a peer review interview (PRI). Fees for applying for Certified level are split over a period of time – grading application fee ($115 gst inc), SDP ($57.50 gst inc), EOA ($57.50 gst inc) and PRI ($172.50). To apply for Certified grading an ‘Application for Certified Grading’ form will need to be completed
All Certified members must keep a record of their Continuous Professional Development through the NZISM online and audited MyCPD portal (annual admin fee $60 gst inc). Certified members can use the relevant post nominals and display a certificate confirming the grade awarded
Certified Fellow Grading: Awarded only to Certified members of at least five years’ standing who can demonstrate an outstanding commitment to the health and safety profession. Fellows go ‘above and beyond’ the call of duty.
Reciprocal Grading: NZISM has reciprocal grading levels with IOSH. An ‘Application for Reciprocal Grading’ form must be completed and a copy of a current IOSH card showing name, grading level, expiry date and membership number must be provided.
CORPORATE SUPPORTER OF NZISM
A company, organisation or other institute may show their support of NZISM by becoming a Corporate Supporter.
Employees of Corporate Supporter organisations who wish to benefit from membership of NZISM must join separately as either an Affiliate or Student member
The current Corporate Supporters fee is $500.00 GST ex. per organisation per annum, which will give the following benefits:
- Corporate logo and web link displayed on NZISM Corporate Supporter’s page.
- Display the NZISM logo on own company website
- Brand enhancement to internal and external stakeholders by showing alignment and support of NZISM
- Acknowledgement as a new Corporate Supporter of NZISM in our newsletter
- Annual certificate confirming membership
- Newsletters/news updates sent out by the NZISM National Secretary